Saturday, December 31, 2005

Crazy Salamander Ballistic Tongue Videos

I could watch these all day. You read it right - a ballistic tongue. Some salamanders actually fire their own tongues at prey...and weird looking tongues they are. I found this site years ago and it still fascinates me.

Stephan Deban is a Biology professor at the University of South Florida. His website has a fantastic collection of slow-motion video of salamanders feeding. Ok, that may sound boring...salamander opens mouth and shoves in worm. I assure you, you will be amazed-especially by Hydromantes supramontis - a cave dweller from Sardinia. It launches its tongue 80% of its body length.
LINK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI JOHN
I HAVE NOT CHECKED ON YOU LATELY. YOU ARE MY BEST XMAS PRESENT! I AM INTELLIGENTLY AND DELIGHTFULLY STIMULATED BY DESCRIPTIVE OBSERVATIONS TX SEATTLE CYNTHIA